Unlike Physics and Mathematics, the Chemistry paper does not involve much numerical part so it is quite easy to score well in Chemistry Paper. If you start your preparation with proper planning and dedicated study hours, you can easily crack JEE Main Exam.
Of the three sections in Chemistry i.e. Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry, the latter section requires the least amount of effort from your side. You need to get away with this misconception that Physical Chemistry is pure mathematics.
The best way to study for JEE Main is to give yourself plenty of time and do lots of practice session. With consistent studying and focusing on the basics, you are most likely to see yourself doing well in this section.
Understanding of Physical Chemistry
- A branch of Chemistry that is like Physics and Mathematics and that helps in growing underlying principles of Chemistry.
- Physical Chemistry explains the chemical and physical properties of matter.
- Physical Chemistry starts from the basics of quantities at the atomic level, mole concept, thermodynamics, energy and kinetics through which reactions occur.
- Numerous topics like chemical equilibrium, atomic structure, a concentration of solutions, and chemical energetic are important topics that build the base of Physical Chemistry.
- Physical Chemistry has around 30%-40% weightage in the Chemistry section of JEE exam (Main).
Study Tips for Physical Chemistry in the JEE
In order to crack the Physical Chemistry part of the Chemistry Section, you need to focus on major three points:
- Understanding of topic
- Conceptual Clarity
Syllabus and weightage of Physical Chemistry topics
|States of Matter and Solutions||7.33|
|Redox and Electrochemistry||2.67|
Important Topics of Physical Chemistry
- Atomic Structure
- Atomic Spectra
- Quantum Atomic Model
- Dual Nature of Radiation
- Bohr’s model of Hydrogen and Hydrogen like-species
- Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Mole Concept and Stoichiometry
- Laws of Chemical Combination
- Surface Chemistry
- Colloids and Emulsions
- Absorption: Types, Mechanism and Isotherms
- Acids, Bases and Concepts of PH
- Law of Chemical equilibrium and equilibrium constant
- Factors affecting equilibrium
- Solubility and Solubility Product
- Gibb’s energy and spontaneity
- Enthalpy and heat capacity
- Enthalpy changes of various reactions
- States of Matter and Solutions
- Gas Law
- Defects in Solids
- Close-packed structures and voids
- Crystal lattice and unit cells
- Chemical Kinetics
- Integrated rate equations and half-life
- Arrhenius Equation
- Radioactivity and Nuclear Reactions
- Redox and Electrochemistry
- Galvanic Cells: features and electrode potential
- Conductance of Electrolytic Solutions
- Electrolytic cells and product of electrolysis
Preparation Tricks for Physical Chemistry
- The importance of Periodic Table- Learn the complete periodic table as most questions in the exam will test your skills in periodic table remembrance.
- Mug up Formulas- Learn all the formulas related to Chemical Bonding, Equilibrium, Kinetics and Radioactivity.
- Understand Complete Reaction Mechanism- Do not remember any reaction rather you need to understand the complete mechanism of the reaction. It will make your concepts clear and help you in solving the questions quickly.
- Use approximation value- You can find out the close value of the answer. Use approximation value and pick the closest one option. This will help you in saving your time for more crucial questions.
- Remember the constant- Questions that involve calculations, remember certain constants which are used again and again. Then you can make approximation value in solving that kind of questions. For illustration- the value of the universal gas constant in SI units is 8.314, so the approx. value will be 25/3 -8. 333..
- Understand the complete concept of Equilibrium- The chemical and Ionic Equilibrium concepts are very important. You should be very clear in equilibrium constant and you should be well-versed in knowing the approximation value of Ionic Equilibrium.
- Do not neglect Surface Chemistry and Solid-State Chemistry- It is noticed that students for some reasons most of the time forget to learn these chapter. The questions are asked from these chapters are quite easy but with lack of preparation, you tend to lose marks in these.
Also Read – Top 5 Android apps for JEE Main Preparation
JEE /IIT Preparation tips- Physical Chemistry
- Prepare your study resources correctly
You should not just add everything to your study material. Your efficiency will increase with best study material and not large study material. This will also save your time in future when revising as you don’t need to spend a lot of time and energy with numerous books.
- Stick with NCERT for clearing your concepts as they are reliable and authentic.
- You can refer to Atkin’s Physical Chemistry book as that will surely going to enhance your numerical solving capability. You will get concept building and easy reference for numerical kind of questions.
- Maintain speed and accuracy
When practising mock test and previous year question paper, keep in mind the right balance between accuracy and speed. You can improve the accuracy by clearing your concepts and by practising numerous questions.
- The importance of theoretical understanding
Do not forget the theoretical part when moving with numerical questions. Despite knowing the formula, you can still be stuck to a question if your concepts are not clear.
- Keep revising and do a lot of question paper
For retaining the concepts, you have learned, keep revising the syllabus and study material that you have gone through. You will get a good idea of question structure by practising previous year question paper and then you adjust your preparation as per the needs.
It is not difficult to clear the Physical Chemistry part, you just need to clear your concepts and stick to the basics. All the best for the future!
Don’t forget to download JEE Main app. It provides free study material, quizzes, mock test, previous year papers, and all the updates related JEE Main exam.